Vacancy - Field Overseer-Earthquake Recovery Project (Nepalese nationals only)
Field Overseer– Earthquake Recovery Project (Nepalese nationals only)
Location : Gorkha, Field Based, NEPAL
Type of Contract : Temporary Assignment (TA)
Post Level : Other
Starting Date : 01-Nov-2015
Duration of Initial Contract : Three Months contract with possibility of extension based on performance and budget availability.
Environment and Child Concern Organization Nepal (ECO-Nepal) is a non – governmental local organization with main office is in Kathmandu, Nepal. In its 15 years of history, was working in all over the country in the area of disaster risk reduction, capacity development, advisory role in policy making and human resource development to make the DRR resilient community. ECO-Nepal is a member of the Disaster preparedness Network Nepal (DPNET).To expand on the success of the early recovery activities (Humanitarian relief phase) in the four VDCs, ECO-Nepal is implementing its next phase project entitled “Building Disaster Resilient Community through Earthquake Recovery Program in targeted VDCs of Gorkha District in partnership with DCA/NCA (Danish Church Aid/Norwegian Church Aid).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Overseer will work under the supervision and guidance of Site Engineer. S/he will be the principal representative of executing the overall activities at field level and report to the Engineer. Ensures that Shelter construction, wash activities and awareness program are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population. The specific responsibilities are the following:
- Prepare site plans and layout taking into consideration: circulation, privacy, shelter, communal infrastructure, land drainage, water and sanitary facilities and other factors like security, gender and cultural sensitiveness in accordance with relevant standards especially those defined by the Government, Shelter and WASH Clusters.
- Prepare scope of works, Bill of Quantities, estimated cost of the site preparation/civil works and drawings/plans. Knowledge of using MS Office Applications, AutoCad required.
- Ensure close coordination with District Development Committee (DDC) and Village Development Committee (VDCs) in all phases of the programme implementation.
- Support partners to conduct household surveys, identification of strategic locations for installations of WASH items;
- Work with the WASH engineer and the Senior Management Team to develop community based water, sanitation and hygiene development plan in targeted DVCs and any other areas as decided by the programme and support partner organizations to implement the activities.
- Update and report the Response Coordinator on a regular basis about the progress.
- Support field staff and volunteers in any activities connected to emergency programme;
- Prepare progress report, and other plans as required.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Develops substantive knowledge of one or more Practice Areas
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office and field.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Required Skills and Experience
- Preferably a diploma in Water & Sanitation engineering or relevant work experiences.
- Good understanding and working knowledge on WASH.
- Experience dealing with community projects and an appreciation for how these issues are dealt with in different cultural contexts;
- Specific experience in water and sanitation projects and/or hygiene desirable
- Must be willing to travel frequently and adapt to difficult working conditions.
- Highly motivated and committed
- Able to write and speak English is desirable.
ECO-Nepal conducted its 10th Annual General Meeting (AGM) on the last day of the year 2016 i.e. 31st December, 2016 (16/09/2073 B.S). The meeting was co...
Psychosocial support has been provided to vunerable people in the project VDCs of Gorkha District .